Looking back on the Nov. 6 General Election, I am pleased to report that my staff and poll workers again delivered on a well run election! Total voter turnout was just around 70%, which means that roughly 215,000 of the 310,000 registered voters in Pasco County chose to exercise their right to vote. Although we can do better, this is a statistic we should all be proud of. Our forefathers granted it to us, others fought to keep it, and we will only preserve it through responsiblecitizenry such as we displayed in Pasco County this election cycle.
Early voting again proved to be a popular choice representing approximately 29% of the total turnout. Absentee voting, or voting by mail, contributed to approximately 28% of the total turnout, with the total preelection day turnout of 57%, which greatly assisted in ensuring a smooth election day!
During my tenure as the Supervisor of Elections, I have seen firsthand the tremendous amount of work that contributes to elections administration! My staff has been going full throttle since November of 2011 and we are still wrapping up required tasks from the General Election! I wholeheartedly thank all the poll workers who graciously gave their time for training and service, and my staff which worked tirelessly to deliver the flawless, transparent election we promised. Without these contributions, elections as we know it would not be possible.
As we close the year out, I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, wonderful holiday season, and a Happy New Year.