Take these how-tos and create one-of-a-kind decorations for the holidays or craft and gift your piece of art. This roundup of tips is also good for kids to stay busy over the winter break.
Better Homes and Gardens offers instructions for a number of crafty creations, including:
- Crystalized Christmas trees are made out of rock candy, but we don't recommend indulging after the holidays. After all, there is glue involved.
- Hanging ornament artwork is a cost-efficient idea and the decor won't take up any floor space as it is meant to be hung on the wall. Some money saving tips for this one are to color scrap paper with preferred holiday colors instead of buying colored construction paper plus places like Walmart offer reasonably priced frames as well.
- This ribbon Christmas card hanger is a neat pick and seems pretty doable, regardless of your level of artistic ability.
- A cute-as-a-button wreath is a great option for kids of all ages.
The ever popular social media site, Pinterest is gold mine for crafting ideas:
- A popcorn snowman gift is a simple and sweet gesture for teachers, neighbors or co-workers.
- Thumbprint Christmas trees are not only a keepsake but a festive decoration as well.
- Use this festive table display idea to create a unique nik-nak out of items you may already have around the house.
- Make a snowman ornament out of an old lightbulb for a cute addition to your own collection or to someone else's.
- This paper Christmas tree design uses sticks from outdoors and white print paper.
Huffington Post Home offers these creative gems:
- Anyone else remember making snowflakes out of scrap paper? Here's a refresher on the classic craft.
- Solid white napkins can be made into elegant snowballs.
- Smash an old CD and use the pieces to create a stellar, holiday ornament. Be careful though, CD edges can be sharp when broken.
- Paper dreidels are a popular addition to the household without really costing anything.
Craftbits is a reliable source for all types of crafts and activities, including holiday-related ones:
- Candy cane reindeer will be a hit at a holiday party or with the little ones.
- This felt-pedaled wreath is a neat way to spruce up your home or office.
- A simple and cost efficient idea is this cinnamon Christmas star craft. It's also great to do with kids.